Friday, January 22, 2016

Owlcrate January 2016 Review

I have been dying to try OwlCrate for a few months now. Usually they have a wait list but for the last few months they opened up subscriptions. I have started to limit my subscriptions lately to budget for grad school life and also because I was acquiring way too much beauty products. I love that OwlCrate is book related. And now that I am starting my second year of grad school my workload has lightened slightly and I actually have some time to read for pleasure. This subscription box is run by a couple and they have had really fun curation in their past boxes. Each month they send out a newly released Young Adult novel with bookish goodies. It costs $29.99 a month plus $6.99 for shipping. I used a coupon to receive $10 off. The theme this month was Magic and they promised a Harry Potter item. I was at Harry Potter world in Florida when they released the teaser and I had to sign up!




The art piece is so pretty. 

The spoiler they revealed for this months box was a Pop! Figure from Funko. I wasn't too excited when I found out that this was the Harry Potter item, because I really only like to receive useful items in boxes (December's box was amazing with the to-do list, book journal, and candle). But after the passing of Alan Rickman I was really hoping for a Snape figure. I wasn't too excited to receive Ron and he will probably be swapped. 

This is a patronus lip balm that is mint and white chocolate flavored. Yum! Totally going in my purse.  They would totally sell this at Honey Dukes.

Bookmark.
The box included a coupon the get the eBook of a Knot in the Grain for $3.99. Other bloggers have pointed out that it is free for Kindle Unlimited subscribers. I was really happy to see this and I hope they offer ebook options in future boxes because I love to read books on my Kindle and not having to physically move them when I move.

I really like to receive motivational quotes recently. I love to have them around my desk while I work on school work to help brighten the darkness that is thesis writing. I haven't read the Throne of Glass series but it is being added to my library list. 

I am excited to read the new book and love that they included a hand written note from the author!

The Description of the book:

"Charlotte, Branwell, Emily, and Anne. The Brontë siblings find escape from their constrained lives via their rich imaginations. The glittering world of Verdopolis and the romantic and melancholy world of Gondal literally come to life under their pens, offering the sort of romance and intrigue missing from their isolated parsonage home. But at what price? As Branwell begins to slip into madness and the sisters feel their real lives slipping away, they must weigh the cost of their powerful imaginations, even as the characters they have created—the brooding Rogue and dashing Duke of Zamorna—refuse to let them go."

I really love this subscription because you can tell the curators put a lot of thought into the curation and themes. I also love that it introduces me to new books and goodies that I wouldn't discover on my own. I have actually added the books from their past boxes to my library list and have even purchased a few items that were included in their past boxes. While I won't use every item from this box I am happy with it and can't wait to see what they include for next months Sci-Fi Love theme.

-K

*post includes referral link

No comments:

Post a Comment